Thursday, June 20, 2013

INVESTORS: HERE’S WHAT TO DO WHEN THERE’S NOWHERE TO GO or…

6/20/13

The S&P took a 2.5% dump today.   The Dow and the NASDAQ experienced similar debacles.   Commodities all took gas.  And bonds got pounded.   Rough day for the longs, indeed, especially coming after a similarly rough day yesterday.  Fortunately for the home team, I had some effective shorts (long put positions) in my trading account, but, as I have said in the past, that account is so small as to be laughable; it exists only to focus my thinking for these posts and my usual discourse with friends.   Like everybody else, I took a beating today in the real money accounts, as did everybody else; there simply was no place to go to be long.


What was especially interesting, and somewhat painful for the home team, was that emerging markets stocks performed even more poorly than “domestic’ stocks, whatever the latter might be, but that is grist for another mill.   Some have speculated, in fact, that the cause for today’s worldwide stock market debacle was not so much the Fed as troubles in the financial system of China, the uber emerging market.   I like that theory, though, as I have said in the past, opining on why a market did what it did is nearly as foolhardy as calling the direction of markets.  

Whatever the reason, emerging markets got pounded today more heavily than U.S. markets and have been having a difficult time of it for a lot longer than the last few days.  As someone who has outsized exposure to emerging market equities (roughly 30% of my equities are in emerging market indices), yours truly is especially feeling the pain of the emerging markets.  My problems are being compounded by a relatively heavy exposure to gold and other precious metals, which have also been taking on water of late.  My far greater exposure to Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) (See my 2/2/13 post, YES, I’M STILL HOLDING ONTO MY TIPS, only the latest post in which I expressed misgivings regarding TIPS but decided to hold onto them.), which aren’t getting beaten up nearly as badly as stocks but are showing some very stock-like downside, compounds the problem.

So what am I going to do in response to the market moves of late?   Regular readers know the answer to this question:   NOTHING outside my insignificant trading account.   No one knows what the market is going to do; as I said in my 4/16/13 piece S&P YIELDS VS. BOND YIELDS:  I’M YOUR MAN WHEN IT COMES TO STATING THE OBVIOUS.

My important point regarding stocks is that no one knows where stocks are going in any run but the long run and anyone who tells you s/he knows where stocks are going hasn’t been around long enough, or been sufficiently humbled by his or her hubris, to be entrusted with your money.

That point can easily be expanded beyond stocks to bonds and commodities.  So the only way to approach investing is, as I said in my 5/9/13 post OF 10 YEAR TREASURIES AND STEAMROLLERS:  RICH MARKETS CAN, AND DO, STAY RICH.

Calling markets, especially in the short term is, as I have said many times in the past, is very difficult.  There ratio of people who can call short term markets to those who think they can call short term markets is nearly microscopic.  So, at the expense of sounding like a broken record, the best approach to investing is a balanced approach.  Hold some stocks, hold some bonds, hold some precious metals, and hold some cash.  Dollar cost average if you can.  REBALANCE REGLIGIOUSLY.   Let the market do what it’s going to do.  Leave the trading to those who can do it…and those who think they can do it.   Let them provide the liquidity you need to function as a long term investor. 

Nothing that happened today, yesterday, or in the last month or year has changed my long term risk preferences or my long term perceptions of what types of investments would best meet my long term investing goals consistent with those risk preferences.   TIPS, emerging market stocks, high dividend paying domestic stocks, the broad stock indices, precious metals, and some cash all make sense for me and thus all have a permanent, or near permanent, place in my portfolio.    So I will hold them all and REBALANCE, RELIGIOUSLY, from those that are doing well in a given period to those that are doing poorly in a given period.   I will thus achieve my long term goals and save myself a lot of anxiety, of which I have more than enough in other aspects of my life.

Investing can be difficult if one wants to make it difficult by trying to prove how smart one is.  If one is happy staying out of trouble while making decent returns on one’s money and one can display even a modicum of patience, investing is not that difficult.   Remain calm, don’t chase your tail, take a balanced approach, and REBALANCE RELIGIOUSLY.  And if one is not in the business of investing, paying little or no attention to the financial media, at least as it relates to your portfolio, would not be a bad idea, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment